A lawyer for ACORN said Monday that statutes in Maryland and the District of Columbia made the undercover filming illegal and that the same laws should prohibit the rebroadcast of the tapes by the Web site BigGovernment.com, where they were first posted last week, and on Fox News, which aired clips of the videos.
Pretty entertaining stuff here. Seems the young would-be journalists are about to learn about press law, something they have apparently failed to do at UCLA. Remember, youngsters, these are the rules the rest of us who are gnarled, old-fashioned journalists, have to follow. Yep, libel and recording laws do exist, and you may have to learn an expensive lesson in fair play and proper technique, something Fox doesn't really care about.
Think Rupert will pay any of your legal fees? We didn't think so either.
ACORN mulls suit against Fox News - Michael Falcone - POLITICO.com
12 comments:
I am pretty sure, now that other states, like Nevada, New York et al, are bringing criminal charges against ACORN it would do for them to stop before their bluff is called, and the new Woodward and Bernstein out even more stuff that ACORN would rather hide.
This is entertaining stuff, and putting this on par with Upton Sinclair in The Jungle is right on.
I was to young for Watergate, but this has all the earmarks of being better than watergate.
You were too young. How can you compare this to Watergate? Do you even know what the f*** you're talking about, or are you still just blowing hot air out your ass like your always do? This isn't shit, and comparing it Watergate just makes everyone know you come from an alternate universe.
Standing up for these kids and their illegal actions makes you truly stupid, Steven. While they might have busted ACORN, they also broke the law. Any media law and ethics classes you will take teach you that you cannot break the law in order to get the story. But then again, you aren't a journalist and you aren't a lawyer, so you would know nothing about what I'm talking about.
Well, let us see, ACORN, which was supposed to be a no-partiasan 501 non-profit organization that used bully tactics to get loans for people that were underserving. Oh, yeah, ACORN also pushed for minimum wage laws it tried to avoid in Kali. Yup, ACORN, decided to publically SIDE with Obama, and commit voter fraud which is being investigated in several states. Even during the election, there were ties seen between ACORN, which has been full of fraud, and Obama.
Now, Nixon was tenuously tied to the plumbers, as Obama is tenusouly tied with ACORN. Nixon, with his over weaning ego, got involved because he figured he could bully his way through the investigation. He was wrong.
I think Obama has an even bigger ego than Nixon, and it could prove his downfall. Of course, if Barry's survival intinct kicks in, he will diaccociate himself from them the way he did Rev Wright. I do think Obama is more cunning than Nixon, but they are crooks in the same way.
Hmm, anon, and you are? How to tell, since your brave enough to put your name on the line, even in this tame forum.
No credibility from you, anon.
The two kids may have broken some rules, but the judicial system will show if they broke any laws. Considering that some courts are lookng at dragging ACORN before the bench, it doesn't look like your argument is holding water. Journalistically, or legally.
How about reading "All the President's Men" again, Steven? I'm not telling you my name because I AM a journalist, and I know what I'm talking about in this case. Because these kids are darlings of the right doesn't give them an excuse to break state laws, which they should have researched before doing what they did. I'm not defending ACORN in this case, but I'm also not defending what the kids did. They made a mistake, and will likely be brought to bar for it. They'll learn that any "journalist" doing this will encounter the same problem. Maybe this isn't the law where you live - but it probably is, and you should look it up to find out what's going on. As for Nixon and his "tenuous" ties to the plumbers, there was nothing "tenuous" about it. They were a group of party and CIA operatives working directly for the cabinet. If you can prove that in the case of ACORN, you may have yourself a story, but I haven't seen journalists manage to do that, so "tenuous" may not be your best choice of words in this case. To compare this to Watergate is beyond the pale. You may think it's of that magnitude, but you'd be only one of a truly handful of people who do. many of those same people also believe the world is flat, man never visited the moon, and flouridated water causes cancer. Good luck with that. Oh, yeah, I'm anon because I choose to be. You choose to reveal your name, and that's OK too - because you probably don't work for a local newspaper.
Steven, I love how you talk like you know something about about journalism and ethics. Obviously, you know nothing about journalism because you still don't know how to spell or the difference between to and too.
Also, trying to get those of us who are local and national journalists to reveal ourselves is stupid. I could just say that I am David Gregory, but that would prove nothing, you jackass. How about you leave talk of journalism and ethics to the big boys and you go back to playing with your dick in a dark room.
Look at me! I'm using a fake name and acting like a jackass!
Funny, you act like a jackass even with your real name.
Easy now, folks. We're pretty sure Mr. Estrada is real, and don't want to talk about his - or anyone's - sexual preferences here. Please, please, please don't make us go to moderated comments.
Yes, I am pretty real, and I do not need ot pretend journalistic stats, then decend into all sorts of delightful epithets. I leave that to the pretenders.
I merely stated a point, and the law will have its day, as I hope it does.
Say they are the darling of the media right? Can you blame them, if it turns out, ACORN does get its chain yanked, its money revoked and loses its non-profit status. No other media outlet has covered the corruption of ACORN, and I applaud the antics of Giles and O'Keefe (no need for them to hide behind pseudo-anon tags) if it brings out the corruption that other media outlets ignored.
I know some of you have delighted in some of the more unsavory antics of journalism that has exposed some sallacious rumors of repub pols. I would figure real journalists would be interested in facts, figures, exposures, whatever the party affiliation.
Time will tell. I have no fear of folks that cringe and hide. You can catch me at any I-Caucus rally, I am easy to find at the Protests, just look for the beat up old Volvo. Sheesh, people, we are discussing stuff. We can stay civil, right?
Post a Comment