This is somewhat of an old story, but I think its worth your time to read. Some of you may know that the controversial talk show host Michael Savage has been banned in Britain. Now I know that most of you on here are jumping and shouting with excitement at this point, but really lets take a second to consider it. Yes, he may seem extreme at times or even most of the time. Does he say things that many people disagree with? Yes. Has he ever incited or called for violence against anyone? No. So why is his presence banned in Britain along with terrorists and serial killers? To balance out a list that is predominately composed of muslims. Cris, I think you will see where im coming from on this one. You agree with almost nothing that I say, yet you still gave me a forum on which to say it. You don't think that just because I have a different view, or maybe some seemingly extreme views that I should be stopped from expressing them. That is what it really boils down to. The British government does not like Dr. Savage's views, so they decide to fix it where he is not allowed in their country. I would urge anyone who is able to to go and donate anything you can to the Savage Legal Defense Fund at www.michaelsavage.com
Sorry guys, I realize that the healthcare debate is probably one of the most important things happening right now, but honestly im bored with it. All of the arguements from both sides are just being repeated and I wanted a change of pace so here ya go.
Let the flaming begin.
3 comments:
Not sure you'll get much "flame" here, but perhaps, if we're lucky. My understanding is that American 1st Amendment rights don't extend past the borders of the nation, too much. A government ban would never work in the US, but if the Brits want it, so be it. I'd imagine Savage would be banned in other places as well. If someone wanted to ban him in the US - I might take up for him. You are right - I do find him pretty despicable, although I have been known to tune in him from time to time and listen. He's always seemed like a freak-show act to me, but I wouldn't support anyone trying to shut down his show. If the Brits don't like it, that's their law, not ours. I'm not sure anyone needs to take up for him in this, unless they also want to take up for changing the laws of the UK. In principle, I'm with you on it - but in practice, not a chance.
No flame from me. I find Mike Savage to be a frou-alarm whack job. I can uderstand why some countries may want to ban him, and he has no say, that is the penalty fo trying outside the states, where free speech is an acknowleded right. I vote with my radio, I listen to about five minutes, he does sideways on someone who asks a simple, honest question, and then I ponder the intellect that could listen to this guy spew for hours a day. I would defend his right to have his say, and if people have created a market for his tomfoolery, then it is not for me to question his right to spew.
I just prefer not to listen.
Other conuntries do not acknowledge such rights, and it is not for us to try and force them to accept someone like Savage. My Weiner is a verbal tyrant, and he should not expect a lot of love in other countries. He may want to watch how hard he pushes, because there are some countries that would just as soon string him up. Still, it is their country, not ours, so Mr Weiner should be very careful how hard he treads. He has few rights outside this country.
Sweetest Jesus - the world is about to come to an end. Steve-O, you actually posted something I couldn't agree with more! How has this happened? Simply, WTF? I'll have to go and read your other comments to get myself ginned back up. Some good points there, brother Estrada.
Post a Comment